A daily dose of textiles,cloth and materials for all who are passionate about the stuff.

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Novelty fabric. Day 3

As much as I love hand dyed fabrics and also enjoy the actual dying process and then using the super pieces in my work
 
 
I am still drawn to Novelty fabrics. I adore the printing of so many images that relate to a specific thing. I use them in all sorts of work including my quilts. Not quite sure how to use these lovely ones that my darling ( very non-textile) daughter found for me for my birthday. I do wish she would learn to sew !


Produced by Makower @ the Henley studio in the UK. Its called Sew retro Montage and was released earlier this year. Its just prefect for sewing types like us.

And this is the other one in the range, smaller images but still textile stuff. Look at those sewing machines !!!, the darning mushroom ( I haven't darned a sock ever!) and the quick unpick tool.

Need to keep the fabrics for a while and let my mind get into creative thoughts on how to use them.
I might add it to a white shirt, facing for the front bands and cuffs.
I have tubs full of very different novelty fabrics and I often use the printed  images as applied pieces in my bigger work.
I have a really great book by an artist who uses printed images and incorporates them  into her work- Roberta Horton. The Fabric Makes the Quilt explains how to use novelty fabrics in an innovative and arty way.
Its published by C & T Publishing and is available from Amazon and Roberta's website too.
Highly recommended.


 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment